Thursday 24 September 2009

A Tutorial...

Hey!

Well the PC has been set up and plugged in so I'm pleased to say that I can now surf blogland at home and hopefully leave comments on your wonderful blogs to let you know I popped by!

As Chris had to focus on the PC, not a single box containing crafting goodies has been unpacked yet but fortunately I managed to get a little crafty before we boxed up and moved out ;D.

Here's a card I made for a past challenge on the PTI Blog that I forgot to post up here (the challenge was to use our favourite colour - mine being green of course!)This card was made with my little (or not so little now as he towers above me) brother's bday in mind - it's another 'couch surprise card'. I was gonna give him my PTI August GSS entry but as it won, I couldn't bare to part with it LOL! I'd had a few request on how I made it so as I was making this one, I figured I'd show you all how easy peasey it is to make! It makes a fab card for just about anyone !

So without further ado, how to make a 'couch surprise card' (apologies for blurry pics and the crafting chaos in the background btw!)

Step 1
Stamp out your couch and colour (I used a circle nestie to stamp inside and promarkers to colour with directly onto Kraft card - I love colouring onto Kraft! I also added some detail with a white gel pen)
Then using a craft knife, cut across the top of the cushions you'd sit on (this is where the money slides out!)
Step 2
Now to make the pocket that will hold the money. I decided to use vellum as it's thinner than PTI cardstock so will slide easily in and out of the slit in the couch.
I figured it's easier to show you the template I created with the measurements written by the side (in centimetres). It's easy if you start with a piece 14cm x 4.25cm and alter to recreate the following pic. After cutting this out, score down the 1cm flaps and across where the narrow strip meets the wide part.

Step 3
Fold the side tabs inwards first, then stick them to the narrow strip. I do it this way so the back of my pocket remains a smooth piece of vellum without any risk of glue or folded tabs making it get stuck!
As you can see on the pic, the tabs are glued inside the pocket rather than wrapped around the outer sides so the back is tab free (gosh I hope that makes sense!) Step 4
I then stamped my cushion onto cardstock and cut a thin piece of card slightly narrower than the cushion. Apply some thin sticky tape to the top of the reverse side of the cushion and attach the card. The reason I apply it to the top of the cushion is so the cushion sits nicely on the sofa and overhangs on the slit in the sofa.
The strip of card is then stuck to my vellum pocket (the card adds more stability for when the pocket is pulled and pushed - vellum will tend to crumple!)After creating the pocket, test it in the sofa to make sure it moves freely and nothing catches!Step 5
Next, prepare the card blank BUT DON'T STICK IT TOGETHER YET (go on, ask me how I know LOL!) You need a card blank and another layer on top - I've picked kraft as a base and New Leaf as the layer here (scrummy!) but you can choose whatever the occasion suits! Plan where you want the sofa to be, and using a pencil, draw around the circle (or whatever shape your sofa is on!) remember you need enough room for the pocket to hide so portrait is the best orientation for this kinda card!Step 6
Using a craft knife, cut a large gap to ensure your pocket will fit nicely behind this layer. Leave enough of a border to stick down your sofa though. I love that I don't have to be too accurate with this and as no-one sees it, it doesn't matter if it's a little messy!
Step 7
Stick the sofa onto the card, threading the pocket through the gap you've just cut out.
Step 8
Decorate the rest of the front panel (I've wrapped coordinating vellum around the bottom half; drawn around the sofa circle with a white gel pen using the nestie it was cut with; cut another circle with the a sentiment on and added some yummy enchanted evening ribbon) Then add plenty of 3-D foam around the edges of the card, though not in the middle as this will prevent your pocket from working!

Step 9
Put your treat into the pocket (I went with a £10 note but it depends on just how generous you're feeling ;D) and place the pocket back into the sofa.
Then attach the layer to your base card

Step 10

Ta Dah! Couch surprise card complete!

Card with sliding tab down...
...pillow picked up to find a nice treat down the back of the sofa!
Card Recipe
(All PTI Unless Stated)
Stamps: On My Couch, Star Prints
Ink: Memento Black, Fresh Snow
Cardstock: Kraft (from stash), New Leaf, Enchanted Evening, Pure Poppy
Accessories: Enchanted Evening Satin Ribbon, Cuttlebug, Nestabilities, Promarkers, Vellum (from Stash) and a £10 note LOL!

So there ya go - a couch surprise card in 10 easy step! This card totally justifies the purchase of the On My Couch stamp set for me, I did wonder if I'd ever use it but I ADORE it!

I hope somebody found my tutorial kinda interesting or useful....obviously you can alter some of the dimensions for your own requirements! If you do have a go I'd love to see the results!

Oh and btw, my brother (Dan) liked his card (well the money in it anyways!) and even offered to give it me back as he thought I'd given him my winning GSS entry - bless! I soon corrected him though; that special card takes pride of place in a box somewhere at the moment LOL!

Thanks soooooooo much for stopping by and not totally giving up on my blog with it's lack of posts!

Catch ya later!
Aimes
x

23 comments:

Emma said...

Wow Aimes - it's like when the magician's reveal their secrets - won't you be chucked from the black circle or something LOL!

I say it still but this card is EPIC - so clever and creative - it's the bee's knees :D

Taheerah said...

Great tutorial Aimes, well explained and great 'action shots' along the way, lol!

Great to have you back with us, looking forward to seeing what else you create once you're properly unpacked!

AuroraDawn said...

Good to have you back Aimes, we've missed you ...

The tutorial is FAB, all I have to do now is rob a bank so I can afford to buy this PTI set along with all the other I just have to own, you should see the length of my wish list ...

I've got my thinking cap on to see if I can make it work with something else hmmmmm.....

Best wishes

Dawn
xxx

Val said...

Amy, this is fabulous. Thanks for the tutorial. Now I can justify purchasing this set as well. I'm going to add it to my cart on the next order. Great job on the tutorial.

Dana said...

YAY! I've been wondering how you made that work! Thanks for the tut.
And that green is gorgeous with the stripes and the red pillow. Yum. If you can film this tutorial when you aren't even unpacked, imagine what we'll get to see once you are back together and organized!!!

Kate Lewis said...

FAB FAB tutorial hun!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us and on the PTI blog too - you're such a star!! Speak soon! K xx

Jane said...

Brilliant! awesome tutorial!!

Melissa said...

Thanks for showing the tutorial--I love it! And I love those colors together, need to try that!

Melissa said...

Thanks for the great tutorial Aimes! Love those colors together too!

Alex said...

Nice to see you've got the computer up and working at home now Aimes :)

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing this!

Have a day tomorrow.

Alex x

anya said...

So glad that you're back in action! Love the card, and the tutorial was fantastic - can't wait to see more from you!

Maureen said...

so glad to have you back in blogworld!! What a great idea with the couch...thanks for the tutorial :)

Heidi said...

Thanks for the super tutorial Aimes! Glad to see you back! Your brother's card turned out fantastic and I sure wouldn't part with the winning one! Good luck getting settled in!

~amy~ said...

very coolio...thanks for the fabbie tut...magnificent card!!

Courtney Baker said...

What a great idea! I love it!

BethieJ said...

Aimes how CUTE is this card.. a GREAT tutorial too.. I gotta try it soon!!
Happy Unpacking!!! Hope you get some crafty time SOON!!

Alison said...

Fab tute, really well photographed and well explained.

That card is just amazing, it makes me giggle every time I see it - now if only I could find a note down the back of my couch!
Alison -x-

Ann said...

Fabby tutorial, Aimes! TFS--hope to try one for Christmas!

Cammie said...

You just too clever! Thanks for the tutorial, excellent instructions.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing your genius hun!

Missing you loads - roll on half term eh? lol

Hugs
Steph xxx

Stephanie said...

Kinky Pumpkin?!!!! Too Much Information Sweetie LOL xxx

Merry said...

What a clever idea and thanks for the 'how to'.

Merry said...

I spied this wonderful card and tutorial last night. Then today I suddenly thought it is my baby brothers (30 something) birthday tomorrow. I normally give him a scratchie and remembered your card as it will be perfect. I didn't read last night that you had made it for your little brother also. So thanks heaps.

Post a Comment

Copyright/Disclosure

I am on various design teams and receive free product to use and promote. I geniunely love the products of the companies and all opinons are honest and my own.

I'm flattered if I've inspired you and you want to CASE anything of mine, but please don't enter it for commercial publications or competitions.
Thank You!
All designs, text, and photographs on Crafting Confessions are ©2009-2016 to Amy Gray unless stated otherwise.